Monday 22 December 2014

December Twenty Second........Luke 22

Christmas comes.  And Luke draws to a close.  The climax in only two days.  If you are still with me reading these blogs I applaud you.  I feel blessed by my own journey through this book as I journeyed through Christmas season in America. (well the December part of the season)

Chapter 22.

"Then they seized him and led him away, bringing him into the high priest's house, and Peter was following at a distance.  And when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and sat down together......."

We just came from a delight downtown light experience complete with free cookies, hot chocolate, popcorn and candy.  Over five miles of lights.  It was immensely beautiful and bright.  My Indian friends would have loved it.  But there were fire pits everywhere in the cold.  I do not think about the crucifixion as being during a time of cold.  By the time Easter hits South Asia it is HOT.  Summer really.  What if this timely death of Jesus was in the winter.  The winter of our souls.  The death of green.  Blood spilled on snow.

Jesus coming to earth.  Jesus leaving His throne, his throne where angels cried out holy, his heaven where he was the KING the one with POWER the great I AM!  To be mocked, drug as a criminal before religious men in the dark cold of the night and hit instead of worshiped.  Blindfolded and struck instead of eyes of the worshipers closed in the awe of His radiant light.  Jesus became flesh and suffered.  He traded the glory of his home for the gory of earthly beatings and ultimately, as we will see tomorrow, death.

This chapter makes me think about the intimate quarters of this household to which Jesus was drug and kept all night being bullied, beaten and broken.  It makes me think of darkness of night when electricity goes out in large cities and evil breaks out.  Darkness does not hold romantic twinkles but shadows of death.  All night Jesus faced their ridicule and scorn, a secret hid from the people till morning light and Jesus' statement that He was God.

Jesus IS God and He came to earth.  May you be full of worship to your King today.

Merry Christmas early.  I can barely contain my joy that my King came to live and die and raise again.  Praise Be to Him who Left His Kingly Throne not for a manger but for a cross and tomb!  Praise Him!

1 comment:

  1. I am waiting for the last 3!!! Love you and love reading! Miss you tons. m

    ReplyDelete