Tuesday 9 December 2014

December Ninth.........Luke 9

 "Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him......"

Ever read this and wondered at the wording?  Jesus was praying in private AND his disciples were there.  I kind of picture it in my head as them walking up to where Jesus is praying on this singular lonely hill with a Wuthering type wind whipping around mysteriously.   The text however suggests a different picture.  A more Asian picture of everyone in everyone else's space.  
No space.  
No aloneness.  
How does one do private praying?  The miniscule size of living, breathing and even existing space is amongst people in South Asia would shock many of you.  Double the number you believe you can comfortably fit into you living room.  Imagine that picture in your head with real people.  Now move all those people into your bedroom.  That should give you a picture of a comfortable party situation.  Different!  Jesus was not on some lonely hilltop.  We do see that in the Gospels but that does not seem to be happening here.  Here is some private prayer in the scram of real life.

This picture gives me hope for the holidays when I am on top of relatives and they are underfoot and around every corner.  Finding time for my own walk with the Lord when I struggle to find an seat  in the house.  Private prayer with the Father is possible in the midst of people.  Even a dozen grown men did not interrupt Jesus' private praying!

This picture also gives me hope.  I do think that solitude and quiet refresh and recharge the soul but they are not somehow more holy than taking time to pray privately in a group setting.  I appreciate Jesus' example.  Two airplanes zooming through my prayer, along with rhino noises coupled with a helicopter and a few police sirens doesn't mean I am less connected with my Father.  I don't need to lock myself in the bathroom to meet with my Father.   Jesus was not some ascetic.  He did not have some allergy to noise when communing with His Father.  I do like to have a quiet quiet time and strive for that but it is often impossible with four to a room at holiday times.  This does make my walk less.

So two things from this passage.  One, fret not in the holiday bustle.  I assure you, your bustle no matter how loud and large probably can't hold a candle to twelve men from different backgrounds on the verge of an argument.  In the midst of your hustle you can have private prayer.

Secondly Jesus set an example of taking time in the crazies to pursue his own connection with His Father.  You to can truly have peace in the presence of your Heavenly Father in the midst of a crowd.  Seek Him and you shall find Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment